Thursday, 18 October 2007

M8 - Major car park

I travelled from Glasgow to Edinburgh (round trip) today. OK, I was travelling at rush hour both times. OK, I would usually take the train but I didn't get my fat arse out of bed on time. But...

For much of the journey, the motorway was like one huge car park. Hundreds of cars stopped or crawling along at a snail's pace. The road urgently needs an extra lane in each direction. But...

Doesn't that just increase congestion in the long run, because the volume of traffic will expand along with the road's capacity to handle it? And there is the environmental impact, which I am not happy about.

Edinburgh itself, of course, urgently needs the park-and-ride facilities which other cities have. It has a ring road of sorts, although this needs upgrading, and we desperately need the sort of integrated transport network that politicians have spoken about for years without actually solving.

1 comment:

Response Plod said...

I regularly park my car in the NCP car park affectionately known as the M25 and frequently wonder how a lot of these jams exist! I sit and wonder if this is it, is the whole country now ground to a halt, permament grid lock! Then when I pass the two cars with busted light clusters I realise that NO, it was caused by every dick head slowing down to take a look!