Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Auschwitz trip upcoming

The tickets are in, the kids have been told to wrap up warm and we are all set for our school trip to Krakow and Auschwitz in a few weeks' time. The kids have been told that it is an awesome experience, and I certainly hope that is how they feel.

Having made the trip to Auschwitz a few years ago, I can certainly testify that it is a harrowing experience. However, strangely enough, I found the visit to the site of the Warsaw ghetto the most moving of all on that trip. At Auschwitz, it is possible to dissociate onceself to some extent. It is a place where evil people did evil things. The ghetto was a place where very ordinary people - just like you and me - failed to love their fellow man and allowed them to be abused, starved and killed. Where people tried to say nothing to do with me, mate, when in actual fact, it was everything to do with all of us.

1 comment:

Mousie said...

What a brilliant idea to have the school trip to Auschwitz.

I visited there (and Birkenau) several years ago while I was living in Eastern Europe and it had a profound effect on me.

I've always thought that, if everyone had to visit and reflect on what happened there, the world might be a much better place in the future.