Tuesday, 1 January 2008

Phil O'Donnell

I was stunned to learn of the death of Phil O'Donnell on Saturday evening. He is a guy three years younger than me, fit guy who by all accounts had no bad habits, yet just dropped dead while playing for Motherwell. It is unbelievably tragic for his family, of course. However, it really seems to have resonated with football fans across the globe, judging by the posts on internet message boards, as well as having had a massive impact in Scotland.

I suppose it is a reminder to all of us of our own physical mortality and how that mortality is entirely at God's mercy. There is, however, a spiritual immortality that is open to all of us who receive God's grace: "He who believes in me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die." (John 11:25-26)

No comments: