Wednesday, 2 July 2008

I am rich and should pay more tax

At least, according to the Marxist GMB union,which is seeking tax increases for anyone earning more than £40,000 a year.

It would not affect me by much, obviously. I am a teacher after all, earning not far over £40,000, but it is the principle of the thing. I barely have two brass farthings to rub together. Honestly. I know I should be able to live more comfortably on what I earn, but I don't. I would personally prefer to see the threshold for higher rate tax increased to around £100,000 so that it only affects genuinely high earners, not those of us who are struggling to make ends meet with the soaring cost of living.

Of course, right now the unions have got Labour by the whatsits. Labour is bankrupt and more and more heavily reliant on the unions for financial support. That means unless Broon has considerable moral fibre (and let's not pretend!), he will be forced to do deals in order to keep his vile party in existence.

No comments: