Sunday, 2 August 2009

Who says Luke Akehurst isn't sharp?

I have never until today looked at Luke Akehurst's blog. He is a Labour activist from London who, sadly, is currently restricted to a wheelchair.

I must admit, I was intrigued by the link from Iain Dale's Diary to a post by Luke which wonders whether Labour would accept a candidate in a wheelchair.

He is apparently unaware that Anne Begg, a wheelchair-bound MP, has represented Aberdeen South since 1997. She was selected via an all-woman shortlist, but I shan't post any bitchy comment about the quality of people elected under such a system. My own local MP is another of the breed, and the phrase 'waste of space' would not begin to sum her up. I certainly wouldn't rate her alongside Anne Begg, who does seem to be quite a well-regarded constituency MP. I love the ironic (dare I say 'black'?) humour in her slogan 'Standing up for Aberdeen South'.

No comments: